The Conference of Consulting Actuaries provides quality education and facilitates networking among established and aspiring leaders in the actuarial consulting community. The CCA is dedicated to supporting the professional needs and career success of consulting actuaries.
Founded in 1950 as the Conference of Actuaries in Public Practice, today the Conference of Consulting Actuaries has over 1500 members in the United States and Canada providing services in the life, health, casualty and retirement fields.
The roots of the Conference of Consulting Actuaries can be traced to the fall of 1949, when six consulting actuaries met for lunch in Chicago to discuss the need for an organization to set standards and exchange information among consulting actuaries.
In January 1950, five of these actuaries and two others, obtained a certificate of incorporation (dated December 1, 1949) for the Conference of Actuaries in Public Practice (CAPP) and established the CCA's Bylaws. Later, the Guides to Professional Conduct and Interpretive Opinions were added. The CCA held its first membership meeting at the Edgewater Beach Hotel in Chicago on October 3, 1950. Thirty-five CCA members attended. Today, membership in the CCA is approximately 1,400.
In October of 1991, the membership of the CCA voted to change its name to the Conference of Consulting Actuaries (CCA). This inserts into the title of the organization the word that best describes what CCA members provide: Consulting.